Who We Are
We are a Christ-centered community and growing congregation, committed to reaching our community, region and world. Below you will find our vision, mission and values as a community of believers. Join us Sunday mornings, or at any of our weekly gatherings to get to know us better. We'd love to meet you!
Where We Come From
Brethren in Christ pioneers from eastern Pennsylvania settled in Englewood (then Harrisburg) in the 1830's. Their large farms bordered the old National Road on the north and south. They worshiped in the homes for a time, then in 1848 erected a church on Valleyview Drive where the former Dunkard Brethren Church now stands. (This building was sold in March 2008 and is now the home of the Randolph Township History Center.) In 1876 most of the congregation decided to build the white frame church (now the home of Englewood Friends Meeting) across from Fairview cemetery on Union Road. The land was donated by Samuel L. Herr, one of the first ministers. Others who preached God's messages through the years on a multiple basis or as pastors were Abram Engle, Levi Herr, Harvey Miller, Joseph Free, William Boyer, Samuel Cassel, Isaac Engle, Jesse Wenger, Ohmer Herr, Erwin Thomas, Elwood Hershey, Ralph Palmer, and Henry N. Miller. Deacons were Jacob Cassel, Elwood Cassel, Clarence Boyer, Isaac Engle, Elmer Hoover, Samuel Cassel, Leighton Mann, Howard Hoke, Bryon Wenger, and Raymond Niesley.
In the early 1970's, the congregation found the need to relocate once again due to congregational growth and the inability to expand the existing structure. Property was purchased just south of the existing property on Union Road, and construction began in November 1974. Pastor Henry Miller was largely responsible for the design of the new building. The building was dedicated on June 29, 1975, and is the present home of Fairview Church. The congregation continued to grow, and an addition (including a Great Room and nursery facilities) was added to the back of the existing church in 1989.
From the beginning there was strong emphasis on the New Birth, evangelism, holiness and missions. Sunday School was begun at the turn of the century and held Sunday afternoons. Highlights of Fairview's 130-year history include several remodeling projects, the annual barn meeting at the Herrs where city children were given a big country dinner and all the milk they could drink, the annual Jake Hoover prayer meetings after the 1913 flood, the victorious passing of Pastor Levi Herr, the departure of several families to the frontiers of Colorado, the project of a home for the Payne children orphaned by the 1918 flu epidemic, outstanding evangelistic meetings, the Bible Conference celebrating the church's 50th anniversary, the police-escorted parade from the old white frame church to the existing church building in 1975, and the annual August block party on the front lawn of our present location.
Missionaries of the congregation were Jesse and Docia Wenger, Mary Heisey, Rhoda Lenhert, Erma Herr, Phyllis Engle, and Grace Holland in Africa; Effie Rohrer and Dr. Lowell Mann in India; and Ruth Pawelski in Mexico. Those having served in home missions or voluntary service are William and Susie Boyer, Albert Engle, William and Evelyn Engle, Erma Ulery, Evelyn Hill, Dr. Sam and Lucy Brubaker, Geneva Yoder, Dorothy Byer, Esther Lenhert, and Dr. Paul and Mary Lenhert.
Contributors: Marjorie Haines, Luanne Robinson, Larry Drusen, Henry Helmuth, and Shirley Helmuth.